Registration has closed.
Buncombe Street United Methodist Church
2016-17 Basketball Season Welcomes You!
This great ministry looks forward to a fantastic season with hopes of positive and spiritual effects for players and their families. Last year, BSUMC’s basketball program supported 27 teams involving 250 players, 60 coaches, and over 150 volunteers. With a primary goal to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ, one key objective is for players to have great experiences on and off the court. That means plenty of playing time, making new friends, learning how to play and interact as a team player, being encouraged, learn how to both win and lose, and most of all, every player growing in their spiritual walk with God. We encourage, and need, parent volunteers. Note the volunteer opportunities on this website and those highlighted in the registration process such as coaching, missions coordinator, devotion coordinator, team photographer, etc.
This year, all registration is electronic and runs September 1 to October 2, 2016. Practice begins the week of October 23, with games beginning the week of November 13. Senior highs play on Thursday nights, while all other age groups play on Saturdays. Following the first game, teams will break during Thanksgiving week then resume the first week of December for three more games before the Christmas break. Following Christmas, games will resume on January 5, 2017. Click this link to download a copy of the 2016-17 Basketball Calendar.
Steps for Registration
- Read the program goals and the policies (Instructional Mites-Mites or Midgets-Seniors)
- Complete the online registration and payment
- For non-members of Buncombe Street UMC, download, complete, and return the Activie Participation / Pastor Appeal Form to Tom Buchanan in the church office by October 9, 2016.
Age groups are as follows with ages based on child’s age as of September 1, 2016
- Instructional Mites – 5 to 6 year olds
- Mites – 7 to 8 year olds
- Midgets – 9 to 10 year olds ( move to 10’ goals)
- Juniors – 11 to 13 years old
- Seniors ‐ 14 to 18 years old
Mission Projects – Every player and coach is expected to participate as a team in some mission project.
- I-Mites through Junior teams are encouraged to focus on the Feed the Need / Boxes of Blessings project. BSUMC has been heavily involved in this program in the past, and with all teams focused on one project, a huge impact will be made. This county‐wide program collects and distributes food and necessary items to those in need who are identified through the Greenville County School system. Although each age group may focus on a difference aspect of the project, as a combined basketball program, we will have one mission and purpose.
- Senior teams are encouraged to participate in a special mission project designed for this age group.
Practice Schedules ‐ The coaches determine their practice times within a limited day and timeframe. We will try to have same‐age groups practice at the same time, or back‐to‐back. Assignments will be made for specific nights for specific age groups. Practices can begin as early as the week of October 23, 2016.
Devotions ‐ For a more focused devotional program, practices for all ages will be 1 hour and 15 minutes long, with the 15 minutes being dedicated to devotions. With same‐age groups practicing either at the same time, or back‐to‐back, teams can be together for the devotion.
Registration – This year, all registration is electronic and runs September 1 through October 2, 2016. Contact Tom Buchanan (864-373-6461, firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
Registration Cost – The fee for Instructional Mites to Mites is $60. The fee for Midgets to Seniors is $75. Late registration fees will be $75 and $90 respectively.
Steps for registration:
- Read the program goals and the policies (Instructional Mites-Mites OR Midgets-Seniors).
- Contact Tom Buchanan (864-373-6461, email@example.com) if you have questions.
- For Non-Buncombe Street UMC Members – download, complete and return the Active Participant/Pastor Appeal form to Tom Buchanan in the church office by October 9, 2016.
Information tables will be in the Sanctuary lobby and manned before and after Sunday school beginning Sunday, September 4, through Sunday, October 2, 2016. Stop by to ask questions.
Instructional Mites, Mites, & Midgets Only – Based on our ongoing policy, all Instructional Mites, Mites, and Midgets will go through an evaluation practice to assess their skills and talents so that we can properly assign them to a team. This evaluation practice is scheduled for Sunday, October 9, 2016, at 4:00 pm.
State Tournament – The State Tournament is January 20-22, 2017, and will be held in Greenville, SC. This is a tournament for Juniors and Seniors only. Due to budget constraints, teams attending the State Tournament will be responsible for their registration fees. Last year’s fee was $250.
Basketball Committee – A new Basketball Committee has been formed and each committee member is responsible for some area of the basketball program. There are still open spots on the committee, so if you’d like to volunteer, contact Tom Buchanan at 864-363-2422.
Non-BSUMC Member – Any player whose family is not a member of Buncombe St. UMC is required by the League to complete an Active Participant / Pastor Appeal form.
- Active Participant form – This is for the non-member that will qualify to play by meeting the BSUMC player requirement of attending 50% of any one church activity per month (see Player Eligibility requirement listed in Age Group policy information). This form will allow Juniors and Seniors the opportunity to play in the State Tournament.
- Pastor Appeal form – This is for the non-member who is a member elsewhere but has no team to play on from their home church. The home church pastor must sign this form stating that the player is active in their own church and will meet the 50% attendance policy required of all other players. By filling out this form, Juniors and Seniors are NOT eligible to play in the State Tournament.
Safe Sanctuary – requirements are in place to protect the players and adult volunteers. All adults interacting in a volunteer capacity must have prior Safe Sanctuary approval. Click on this link to download a Safe Sanctuary application, or to learn more about the program, contact Tom Buchanan (864-363-2422) to discuss your interest and/or to ask questions.
If you have a question as to which form to fill out, please contact Tom Buchanan at 864-363-2422.